Landlord’s Guide

In most cases landlords and those responsible for a building will have a responsibility for the electrical safety for the property and its occupants.

RCD Test


A landlord renting a property may be required by law to provide electrical safety certification for the property they rent and electrical appliances supplied.

Houses of Multiple Occupancy

A single dwelling rented out on multiple tenancies and over a certain number of bedrooms and floors will need to satisfy the electrical safety requirements of a HMO license issued by the local authorities.

Typically a property with more than 4 bedrooms and 2 storeys will need an

Electrical Installation Condition Report valid for 5 years

Maintained smoke alarm system with periodic testing and documentation

Emergency lighting system with periodic testing and documentation

Annual PAT testing on all landlord supplied portable electrical appliances


The Electricity at Work Act 1989 places a legal responsibility of employers and employees, as duty holders, to ensure that electrical systems under their control are safe to use.

A company should work towards a programme of continual electrical safety procedures.

There is also an increasing demand from insurance companies to provide satisfactory electrical certification. Failure to do so may result in a void insurance policy!

A typical safety schedule may comprise

Electrical Installation Condition Report at requested intervals

Weekly, monthly, bi annual and yearly testing and certification of fire alarm systems and emergency lighting system

Annual PAT testing of portable appliances

Annual testing and certification of fire and smoke vents damper systems

Remember that the landlord of a commercial building is not responsible for the above requirements. The obligations lies with the tenant/ leaseholder.